Friday 2 August 2013

A bit of what's been happening

It feels like groundhog day around here a bit lately. My husband is still away and comes back when his work allows. The kids like the same things, Mat is still into painting, the sand pit, barbie dolls and their clothes. Jam loves trucks, fire trucks, monster trucks, the bin man and cement trucks. Anything with wheels really and has a cute voice when he says "monster trucks". 

When you're the sole parent doing the same things day in day out things can seem mundane and boring but looking back over some of these photos from the last couple of weeks makes me realise what great things happen in our lives. Things that make the ordinary, extraordinary! 


The kids were painting one Saturday morning and Mat asked for more paper. She pressed it up against her painting and told me she was "making a print"! I was so proud! This little girl watches everything I do, stores it in her brain and then either the same day or at later date uses these skills. She made her own print of her painting which I thought was pretty amazing and cool! This afternoon I was flicking paint off my brush and using my fingers to paint. I look up and she was trying these techniques too. 

Another thing she has learnt over this year is to wash her brush after each colour! This is a mantra at school each time I paint with a class. I was thrilled that a 3 year old can do this. Bless her little heart!


 Another afternoon we played with rice and soup mix in buckets. Mat was into it more than her brother but none the less it was fun. They fed animals and poured the rice mixture from one container to another. What fun you can have with such simple things.
  

One of my goals at the beginning of the year was to have a regular time to make for art making as well as start an art group. I have successfully achieved both of these goals and they are on going! Yay me!!  Above is some of my experimentation for my art journals or Artist Trading Cards. I meet up with friends from uni once a month and we swap ATC's based on a particular topic. By the end of the night we walk away with 8 new cards as well as new ideas, inspiration and for me an 'adult company' fun filled night. 




This is my latest painting. This canvas has been painted over about 4 times and the top left photo is not even the original painting from about 4 years ago. I have been inspired by many artists over the last few months- Flora Bowley, Kelly Rae Roberts and Chrissy Foreman C to name a few..... I read their blogs, look at their art work and have bought some of their books but that's about as far as it gets. Being winter I get lazy and just chill on the couch of a night time. I need to get back into painting and making art as I day dream about it  and have visions of images and ideas all the time! So just this very afternoon I started to paint and at first wasn't too impressed but went with it. I like the result so far but there could always be more to add. Welcome back painting, my old friend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment